It is our mission to empower those who perform, teach, and manage blood collection procedures for clinical testing to do so with professionalism, integrity, precision and compliance.
Since 1998, the Center for Phlebotomy Education, Inc. has been having a global impact on how blood samples are drawn and processed for clinical laboratory testing. As a trusted leader in the healthcare industry, tens of thousands of healthcare professionals and facilities worldwide have attended our conference presentations, invited us to conduct onsite training, implemented our educational materials, subscribed to our newsletters, and interacted with us through our web site.
Our expertise has been sought by clinical laboratories, healthcare facilities, academic institutions, government agencies, product manufacturers, and dedicated healthcare professionals around the world.
Healthcare professionals and educators around the world have relied on us for accurate information on blood sample collection and processing (preanalytical) procedures since 1997. Through our videos, newsletters, books, posters, downloads, continuing education exercises, conference presentations, in-services, and more, we’ve been teaching proper phlebotomy technique based on the most current CLSI standards and OSHA guidelines.
We are not a certification agency, but we support comprehensive phlebotomy training and certification for all who have blood sample collection responsibilities.
For information on reputable agencies that certify phlebotomists, click here.
A Partial List of Organizations We Are Proud to Have Served
- Geisinger Health Systems
- Lahey Clinic
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Mayo Clinic
- Cleveland Clinic
- Veterans Affairs Health System
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- Greiner Bio-One
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI)
- Cape Cod Hospital
- University of Michigan Hospital
- Denline Uniforms
- Quest Diagnostics
- bio Merieux
- Vanderbilt University
- Canadian Standards Association
- American Association of Blood Banks
- American Society for Clinical Pathology
- California Department of Health Services
- Norwegian Institute of Biomedical Science
- Kaiser Permanente
- Alberta Health Services
- Singapore Polytechnic
- Commmunity Hospital of the Monterrey Peninsula
- Sentara Health System
- U.S. Department of Labor
- Covenant Healthcare
- Queensland Health Australia
- Sarah Bush Lincoln Health Center
- Wall Street Journal
- Valley Medical Laboratories
- Calgary Lab Services
Dennis J. Ernst MT(ASCP) has been involved in phlebotomy for over 30 years as a medical technologist, educator, and legal consultant. As the Director of the Center for Phlebotomy Education, he conducts workshops, in-services, and conferences on phlebotomy across the U.S. and around the globe with the goal of protecting healthcare workers and their patients from injury while obtaining high quality specimens for laboratory testing.
- Director of the Center for Phlebotomy Education, Inc.
- Co-author of The Lab Draw Answer Book (Center for Phlebotomy Education, Inc., 2018)
- Co-author of Quick Guide to Blood Specimen Collection (AACC Press, 2016)
- Editor of Blood Specimen Collection FAQs (Center for Phlebotomy Education, 2008).
- Author of Applied Phlebotomy (Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2005).
- Author of Phlebotomy for Nurses and Nursing Personnel (HealthStar Press, 2001).
- Editor of Phlebotomy Today and Phlebotomy Today—STAT!, an online family of phlebotomy e-newsletters in publication since 2000.
- Chairperson/Participant in the revision of 11 CLSI specimen collection standards and guidelines.
- Member of the CLSI Board of Directors, the organization that develops laboratory standards and promotes their use worldwide.
- Internationally recruited speaker.
His articles have appeared in:
- Parents magazine
- Advance for Administrators of the Laboratory
- ASCLS Today
- RN magazine
- Advance for Laboratory Professionals
- Medical Laboratory Observer (MLO)
- Journal of Healthcare Risk Management
- Monthly Mini-Lessons in Care of the Aging
- Home Healthcare Nurse
- Advance for Nurses
- COLA Insights
- Managing Infection Control
- Vantage Point
- ASCP TechSample
He has been quoted in:
- Washington Post
- Wall Street Journal
- Bottom Line Health
- The Dark Report
He has appeared on:
- Dateline NBC
Dennis Ernst is one of the leading experts in blood collection.
Dennis and Catherine are my absolute go-to guys when I don’t have an answer to something! They make me feel more like family than a customer.
Jyl Madlem, MS, MT(AMT)
Laboratory Program Advisor
Indiana State Department of Health
Dennis continues to be a tireless champion for the global establishment and implementation of standardized best practices in all aspects of phlebotomy and related pre-analytical services. His leadership, commitment and expertise continue to have significant impact on the improvement of quality practices in laboratory medicine, and, ultimately, on the health and well-being of patients everywhere.
Glen Fine, MS, MBA
Chief Executive Officer
Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI)
I'm impressed with your thoroughness and dedication reflected on all the educational materials.
I have referenced you many, many times not only as a source of information, but, justifiably, as a highly regarded expert in the field of phlebotomy.
As the author of a leading coagulation web site and blog, I appreciate the Center for Phlebotomy Education's efforts to highlight and dramatize how important proper blood-sample collection and management is to accurate patient diagnoses and treatment. Your information directly enhances patient care.
George Fritsma, MS MLS
The Fritsma Factor, Your Interactive Hemostasis Resource
I have come to rely on Dennis' expertise in Phlebotomy. His knowledge is tried and true as he is truly the expert in this field. With me, he has a proven track record of knowing the current industry standards, policies and procedures. His knowledge is incomparable and he readily shares this information with everyone for the advancement of Phlebotomy and the healthcare field as a whole. What his publications do for this discipline is priceless.
Marie Moorehouse, BS,
Training Specialist Senior
Department of Pathology Phlebotomy Services
University of Michigan Health Systems