A set of beliefs every phlebotomist should embrace
by Dennis Ernst • August 30, 2021
- I believe working in healthcare to be a noble vocation, and caring for the sick, injured and dying to be a calling of the highest order.
- I believe I am a professional and that professionals follow procedures properly, even when nobody's looking.
- I believe my position in healthcare requires me to project a professional appearance, behavior, demeanor, and manner of speaking at all times.
- I believe I am an ambassador of the laboratory and must instill confidence to the patient that their specimen will be accurately and timely tested.
- I believe submitting a specimen to the laboratory that accurately reflects the patient's physiology is my highest priority.
- I believe the laboratory has trusted me to draw blood properly and that my procedure must reflect the laboratory's policies for specimen collection, processing and transportation without fail.
- I believe patients depend upon me to properly identify them and their specimens according to the standards regardless of the circumstances.
- I believe in order to serve others, I must first protect myself from practices that put me at risk of sustaining accidental needlesticks or other exposures to bloodborne pathogens.
- I believe patient confidentiality is a sacred trust.
- I believe the act of inserting a needle into a patient's vein is a highly detailed invasive procedure made to look deceptively simple by those who pursue perfection.
- I believe competency in phlebotomy demands I continue to educate myself in the field.
- I believe that all of my patients deserve to be treated with the utmost respect, compassion and courtesy.
© Center for Phlebotomy Education, Inc. All rights reserved.
Note: for an attractively designed pdf of The Phlebotomist's Creed suitable for framing and/or posting in classrooms and your workplace, visit the Center for Phlebotomy Education's FREE STUFF web page.
overall rating: my rating: log in to rate
Hit the nail on the head--again!
Tony Milano, 08/30/2021 17:17:09
Thanks, Tony! My hammer misses the nail now and then, but it keeps me humble!
Dennis J. Ernst, 08/30/2021 17:39:40
Love it! making a copy and posting in the lab! Maybe some will read this
Matt Giusti, 08/30/2021 20:21:09
This is really great. Are we able to order laminated posters?
Judy F Barroso, 08/31/2021 07:12:04
Ken Starks, 08/31/2021 07:38:19
Beautiful and true
Geraldine Sequeira, 09/16/2021 16:14:26