by Dennis Ernst • November 03, 2017
The Lab Draw Answer Book (Center for Phlebotomy Education, Inc.) has been out only two months and is already filling the void in the libraries of healthcare professionals around the world.
The response has been overwhelming," says Dennis J. Ernst MT(ASCP), NCPT(NCCT), who coauthored the book with his wife, Catherine Ernst, RN, PBT(ASCP)CM. "It's probably the most successful product launch in our company's history."
The 440-page full-color reference book answers nearly 400 commonly asked questions on blood sample collection and handling, and managing phlebotomy services and personnel. It's the second edition of Blood Specimen Collection FAQs, which was released in 2008, with 100 new entries and all original entries updated to fully reflect CLSI's new venipuncture standard.
Chapters in the book include:
- Safety and Infection Control
- Training, Management and Certification
- Skin Punctures, Heelsticks, and Pain Management
- Patient Identification, Vein Selection, & Site Prep
- Tourniquets & Butterflies
- Order of Draw & Discard Tubes
- Hemolysis and Potassium Issues
- Blood Cultures
- Labeling and Post-venipuncture Care
- Line Draws & IV Starts
- Processing, Storage, & Transportation
- Patient Injuries & Complications
- Unorthodox Techniques
Copies are available from the Center for Phlebotomy Education. More information and preview pages.
overall rating: my rating: log in to rate